HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 pm 

Hi, I am new to the group and have looked with interest at the RS-UV3. A couple of questions?

What would the connection be between 2 RS-UV3's to make a stand alone full duplex repeater be?

I notice there are led's on the casing but no mention of where they connect to on the boards?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers Dave G7UZN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 am 

Hi Dave,

There is no need to connect LEDs to the board, they are already there, the case comes with light pipes that go over the SMT LED's to get the light through the case. One LED is power, one is TX and the third is SQ open by default but can be changed to other functions.

I added a file with the schematic for the repeater cable. There is a 3.5mm jack attached to the serial port on both the TX and the RX. These are not strictly needed for operation, they provide a convenient place to plug in a USB-Serial dongle to access the TX or RX without effecting operation.

Here is a link to a youtube video with some of my early repeater testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkVspF_GRU

I eventually put 2 - RS-UV3's, the duplexer, 1W amp and a power supply in a Pelican brief case and use if for demos at Hamfests. It works great. The latest version of the FW now has 'courtesy beeps' you can enable.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:44 am 

Thanks for that Jim.......

So is it as simple as ground to ground, rx audio to tx audio and cor to ptt?

Cheers Dave UZN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:53 pm 

Hi Dave,

Yes, the basic repeater functions like CW ID, variable hang-time/time, out are all built into the firmware on the RS-UV3 and can be set as power-on default. If you want cross-band operation you don't even need a duplexer you can get away with our UHF and VHF filters.

If you want more advanced repeater functions, maybe a remote base, remote control multiple RX inputs with voting, then you may want to add an external processor.

Jim WA2EUJ