HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:31 am 

I am in the process of writing a cross-platform equivalent of the RS-UV3 control platform for all major platforms. I would like to see the source code to the existing Windows-only app. This wouild allow me to confirm the finer points of the interaction between the software and the board. Would it be possible to get the source code?

I have done this sort of thing before, and have the preliminary interface and event handlers completed. I probably will not be able to support every permutation of OS/Device, I will publish the resulting source and some binaries for obvious platforms.

Thanks,

Dave, KD0EAG

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:02 pm 

Hi Dave,

You certainly can. Just remember it's in Visual Studio 2008 and written by an RF engineer, so try not to laugh out loud. The easiest way to get it is send me and email jim (at) hobbypcb (dot) com, then I can invite you to join the Dropbax where it's stored. You can then grab a copy and do what you like with it.

We certainly need an updated virtual front panel. I started playing with PureBasic because it's cross-platform, there's a free version that is pretty capable and it makes nice tight .exe files that don't require and type of framework. I wrote a 'Communicator' which scans all of the comm ports, opens the ones it can and looks for a RS-UV3. It's really good at finding it and takes a lot of the guesswork out of getting connected. Once connected it allows the user to send commands and displays the response (very basic).

If you need any FW support to make the interface easier, just let me know and I'll try to make accommodations.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:04 am 

Thanks, I'll drop an email to you direct. Anything I do will be Open Source, GPL2+, probably. Definitely with extension and modification by others in mind.

Dave, KD0EAG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:37 am 

Dave, Jim...and anyone else who wants to weigh in...

I am going down the same trail regarding a cross-platform control program. Recently I have become fixated on FlDigi and related modules. In particular, I would very much like to find a way to configure FlDigi using FlRig and/or HamLib. From what I understand at this point (much more research ahead of me), most if not all of these approaches require (at least) a custom CAT file. A CAT file may only get us half-way there, though. If there are limits and assumptions about the format of commands that are defined in a CAT file, then we might have to have some sort of interpreter middleware to translate the COM-compatible info to/from the radio itself.

So...any thoughts on this approach? Am I wasting my time pursuing this approach?

In any case, feedback is appreciated.

And an update on your efforts, Dave, would also be great!

Tony V, KM4TUV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:37 am 

I've been thinking about changing the RS-UV3's firmware so that it directly supports a CAT command set. I might have to make custom extensions for some of the parameters like beacons and repeater function.

Is there a good standard to adopt and can someone point me to documentation of a command set.

Jim.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:39 pm 

If you write any software, do it in Python 2/3. If it must be in C/C++, use QT5 for GUI.