HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 pm 

I have used both HDSDR and SDR-Radio.com software for receive, and tried HDSDR with another SD-Transceiver. SDR-Radio is much more polished, and it is free for amateur radio use. I got better performance out of my SDR dongle with the SDR-Radio software. Has anyone tried RS-HFIQ with SDR-Radio? They seem to be open to working with hardware vendors that want to write a dll.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:57 pm 

I'm not all that familiar with SDR-Radio. The Arduino sketch that runs the RS-HFIQ is very basic and can easily be modified to interface with just about anything. As for a custom DLL, it's beyond my software development skills but maybe they should interface to Onmi-Rig, it interfaces with almost every rig out there and it's easy to add more.

I just downloaded Log4OM, logging software. It has Omni-Rig support. I just clicked on 'RIG1' and the frequency info from the radio shows up in the logging software.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:56 am 

Cool. This looks like it would be very helpful. Thanks for posting about it.
73s,
Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 am 

I have tried using SDR console for receive and Tx can not be activated... Set RS-HFIQ as external radio has connected and already sync when dialing the freq... unfortunately Tx unable to activate.... Does anyone already succeed to activate it??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm 

After we had this initial discussion, I got in touch with Simon at SDR Radio to see if he could add native support for the RS-HFIQ to the SDR Console program. He told me that he was very bust but would look into it. I sent him a RS-HFIQ to develop with and he was looking at it but I haven't heard anything in the last few weeks.

Maybe some one could send an email asking if there has been any progress. It's probably better if it doesn't come from me because basically he working for free and I don't want to bother him but if someone else asks for an update it shows that others are interested, not just me.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:47 pm 

hopefully... RS-HFIQ will be listed and integrated on SDR Console program someday...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:15 am 

I have a question......I have software PowerSDR V2.8.0.99 can it work with RS-HFIQ if so do i need to change something...are just go with it... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 am 

The only instance of PowerSDR working with the RS-HFIQ is using the PI SDR IQ+.

https://pi-sdr.net/pi-sdr/index.php/pi-sdr-projects/pi-sdr-iq-plus

I have one of these units and can certainly attest to it superiority over HDSDR and a soundcard. From the PI SDR IQ+ website:

IQ ADC jack, 123 dB Dynamic Range/24bits/192KHz
    IQ DAC jack, 105 dB Dynamic Range/24bits/192KHz
    Stereo Headphones/Microphone jack
    CW/Paddles jack
    SBC ARM A7 QuadCore/1.53GHz/1GBRAM/100MBEth/USB2/HDMI
    Used natively with PowerSDR-IQ v2.5.3, Win7/8/10
    Driverless configuration, no PC drivers required.

That being said, you should be able to run any version of PowerSDR that works with soundcard radios. For radio control, you would need to enable CAT commands and develop (or port) a CAT interpreter for the RS-HFIQ's Arduino.

Also we are working on a Raspberry PI image that allows you to use all of the Linux based SDR apps, Quisk, GNU Radio, Linrad etc. The image will come configured for Quisk, FLdigi and WSJT-X completely setup for digital modes.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

What exactly is involved in making the RS-HFIQ work with the various software out there? Is it just a question of modifications of the Arduino sketch or is it more involved? I've been trying to find the time to learn more about things such as the Arduino and Raspberry Pi, not only for radio but for my model railroading hobby as well. I think I'm too old and don't have enough spare time to learn any sort of programming language or major coding but I think I'd like to get the point of being able to write Arduino sketches. It's too bad we haven't had a computer software guru fall in love with the RS-HFIQ. It's such a neat little rig and I love mine already but any sort of major coding for it is beyond me. Is HDSDR still being actively developed or is this as good as it gets?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 am 

Hi,

All of the implementations that I have mentioned in this thread require zero software changes to the RS-HFIQ itself. In some cases (like the IQ32 and the PI SDR IQ+) you'll need to add two spots of solder to the bottom of the board to increase the TX gain because the audio output of the D/A is a bit lower.

But there is a good bit of configuration change and cabling needed for each setup. If you are using HDSDR you already know about all of the things you need to do to get it working. HDSDR was dormant for a LONG time but the developers seemed to be releasing new versions again. So far none of the new versions are incompatible with the RS-HFIQ.

HDSDR is actually one of the most difficult implementations to run. Navigating the required drivers and sound level settings is difficult and inconsistent between Windows versions and very likely to change when Windows updates are pushed out.

The IQ64 or other Raspberry are also quite complicated and a good understanding on Linux is needed to branch out and experiment. The SD card image is plug-n-play to get you started. It works great for digital modes and I have enjoyed several voice contacts with it. It's a good starting point to launching into other Linux based SDR programs like GNU Radio or LINRAD.

The IQ32 eliminates all of these issues and creates a much more traditional radio experience. In this case the Arduino is actually removed from the RS-HFIQ and the IQ32 controls the radio directly.

The PI SDR IQ+ combines a Orange PI for all radio control and IQ interfaces with a PowerSDR interface on a Windows PC. It is very straight forward to set up, very resistant to Windows updates and has the best performance you can eek out of a $250 radio board. It is geared more toward an operator than an experimenter.

For the most ambitious radio-maker there is wonderful potential for rolling-your-own SDR with the Teensy. The DSP library and easy Arduino interface make it simple to start learning about the low-level DSP for radio applications.

So where do you go from HDSDR? Well if it's simplicity and a more traditional operation or it you like to pack up a minimal station for travel/camping the IQ32 is a good choice. If you are looking to populate a home station with a focus on operating, especially contests and pile-ups, get the PI SDR IQ+ . If you want to experiment and want a high level operating system get a Raspberry Pi and Behringer sound card, download the image a start playing. And if you want to get into the bare-metal SDR get a Teensy 3.5 or 3.6 and start processing IQ samples yourself.

The best thing is that a false start isn't all that financially risky. The Teensy is <$30, a PI with a sound card should be about $80, both of which can be used for other pursuits if the SDR thing is a bust. The IQ32 and PI SDR IQ+ are a more significant investment, but both provide much more specific outcomes.

Using a single RS-HFIQ to switch between several different configurations could be problematic. You might be able to rig up a switch for the IQ audio and the USB but I would suggest (and I'm support by the shameless commerce division) that you get a new RS-HFIQ for each of your SDR setups.

I hope this helps.

Jim WA2EUJ