HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RX Overload on 40M
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 pm 

I've now retired all of my other HF equipment and my station is the RS-HFIQ, PI SDR IQ and a Hardrock-50. My antenna is an AlphaDelta 80-10M dipole up in the trees at about 30'.

Lately I've noticed the RX overloads on 40M almost every evening and I can hear broadcast stations no matter where I tune. If there are thunderstorms in the area static crashes will also cause overloading on other bands as well.

I decided to do something about it. I'm using a Rev D board and there's a 4 pin header labeled EXT_RX which provides access to the RX signal between the T/R switch and the RF filters. I designed a tiny board that plugs into this header and has 0-10-20-30dB of RF attenuation. It uses relays to switch in the attenuator and is cabled over to some of the pins on the Arduino for control. I updated the RS-HFIQ control panel to be able to set the attenuator and Christos modified the FW in the PI SDR IQ so it can control the attenuator using PowerSDR's pre-amp control. It works great.

We are trying to assess whether we should offer it as a product, it'll likely cost $35-$40 because of the expense of the miniature relays and the labor to create the kits. I'd welcome comments.

Also if there are users who would be willing to do some beta testing I have a few of the prototype boards available. Send me an email (jim [at] hobbypcb [dot] com) and I'll give you more details.

Jim WA2EUJ