HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inconsistent Problems
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm 

My RS-HFIQ arrived a week and a half ago. I was waiting for a Pi SDR to arrive, but I got it to work with HDSDR after a lot of fiddling around. The day after my success the Pi SDR arrived and I switch to setting that up, without much success. You can see the long troubleshooting thread here. After not having much luck with the Pi SDR, I decided to try again with HDSDR and have seen behavior similar to what I see with the Pi SDR.

Basically, it's very inconsistent, but never works completely. (I'm talking about receive here--I haven't tried transmitting yet.) More than half the time after I set up I get just static, no signal. If I shut down HDSDR, unplug and replug the USB, and play with the tuning, eventually I see a waterfall and can tune signals. But the tuning is strange--if I drag the frequency slider, signals in the waterfall move in the opposite direction. Sometimes they split apart or combine and sometimes upper and lower sidebands are reversed on phone bands (i.e I need to set USB to get intelligible signals on 40m).

I'm hoping someone has suggestions on what I might try to troubleshoot or fix this.

Thanks.

Last edited by n1adj on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:43 pm 

Hi Jim,

OK first thing, with HSDSR you won't see/hear anything unless you change frequencies. HDSDR doesn't send out the frequency when it starts, only when you change frequency so until you change the frequency the RS-HFIQ is tuned to 0 Hz. If you update to the latest FW 3.1, The frequency is stored in EEPROM and recalled on power up which helps with that issue. Also the PI SDR IQ+ doesn't like it when it queries the RS-HFIQ and it says it's tuned to 0 Hz.

If the tuning and USB/LSB are reversed then you need to check SWAP I and Q under 'Input Channel Mode for RX' in the 'Options' menu in HSDSR.

It would also be helpful to know what sound card you are using for the IQ in and out to the RS-HFIQ and what you are using for your speaker/mic.

Even as I post this Christos and I are tracking down the issues with the PI SDR IQ+/RS-HFIQ to see what going on there.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:55 pm 

Sorry for delay in responding. I shifted my QTH a couple hundred miles north for vacation and I'm just getting re-established.

I've updated to the very latest firmware (RS-HFIQ_REV_D_3-2.ZIP). Right now I'm still testing without the PiSDR.

I'm using the built-in Realtek sound card in my laptop for the RS-HFIQ and a Logitech USB headset for audio for me. The headset is set as the default microphone and speaker. I've tried checking/unchecking "Swap I and Q Channels for RX Input" but that seems to have no effect on the strange waterfall tuning behavior. The main thing about the waterfall is that it is symmetrical around the center frequency. If a see a signal 30 kHz to the left of the center LO frequency, I see a mirror image 30 kHz to the right. I can tune to signals I see if I click the correct side of the waterfall--clicking the wrong side tunes away from the signal I want. And which side is the correct side seems to switch at times. For example unplugging and replugging the RX IQ out from the RS-HFIQ will sometimes make that happen.

I know this sounds bizarre. I'm hoping you can help me track it down.

Jim N1ADJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:35 pm 

It's common for the mic input on laptops to be mono and apply the same signal to left and right channels. If this is the case, you'll see the same spectrum on either side of zero and the tuning will be very strange. You'll need a sound card with stereo input to work correctly with the RS-HFIQ.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 am 

I'm sure that's it, although it claims to be stereo.

I switched back to the Pi SDR, which now seems to be working fine. I assume the firmware update to Rev D V3.2 fixed it.

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 am 

I figured that if you got the PI SDR IQ+ working that it wouldn't matter whether HDSDR works or not.

Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 pm 

I am having exactly the same problems with tuning HDSDR described in n1adj’s notes. When I tune the entire waterfall shifts in the opposite direction. I can tune in a signal ok but it appears to shift in frequency as I tune. Very confusing...I assume this is a stupid problem with an obvious solution.

I am using the recommended Startech usb soundcard card connected to the rs-hfiq and the internal realtek internal soundcard in my pc for a usb mic/headphone. I believe I followed the startup guide steps. Everything looks and sounds ok until I try to tune. I used the software on the website.....only thing I noticed is that the hdsdr version provided is 2.70 from 2013....should I be using a newer version
Like 2.76 or later??

I did not see anything in forum replies from Jim V that directly answered n1adj’s original question

Please....appreciate any suggestions ASAP.

I’d like to upgrade to the Pi solution next but want to gain some confidence in the basic hdsdr configuration first

Tom. kp2ch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:47 am 

Hi Tom,

If the waterfall tunes in the opposite direction then you need to 'SWAP I and Q for RX' in the 'INPUT CHANNEL MODE for RX' selection under 'Options'

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:40 am 

Hi Jim
Thanks for the quick response.

I am still unable to stop the waterfall from shifting during tuning Here are my results.

Directly Under the Options tab of hdsdr, there is a choice “swap I and q channel for rx input”. When it is selected, I get the waterfall moving in the opposite direction to the tuning. When that choice is unselected, the waterfall moves in the same direction as tuning. I.i. The effect just switches direction, but the waterfall still moves during tuning.

Under the the options tab there is the sub tab that you mentioned called “input channel mode for rx” which has four choices and it appears that one of the four must be selected. #1 -left channel only, #2-right channel only. , #3-both channels added, #4- I(left) / Q(right). #4 was selected when the effect Described in paragraph above was noticed. When #3 is selected, the result in paragraph above reverses.

Based on the tab / sub tab choices mentioned in your note which are a bit different than mine, I wonder if we are using the same version of hdsdr.

Greatly appreciate any further suggestions. Looks like it may be stupid menu selection problem on my end.

Thanks

Tom
Kp2ch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 pm 

Hi Tom,

Wait a minute, the waterfall is supposed to shift when you tune. Since we run with 'Tune fixed to LO <-> Tune Offset' checked, the tuned frequency is always in the center of the display so whenever you tune, the entire waterfall moves. If you tune up in frequency, the waterfall slides to the left and if you tune down, it slides to the right. If you click tune a signal, it snaps to the center.

That's so when you transmit, the I and Q signals are relatively low in frequency and the image rejection is very good. If you tried to TX at the extreme edges of the screen, the soundcards has much worse phase error and, if uncorrected, will TX a image signal that's way out of spec. You could be transmitting an opposite sideband signal in the CW band or even out of band.

PowerSDR gets around this by using s pseudo-IF by altering the LO between TX and RX and always transmitting at the same place in the baseband regardless of where you are tuned.

If you run the Raspberry Pi (or other Linux OS), Quisk allows you to tune anywhere in the spectrum but I recommend using the spectrum up and down buttons to get in the center of the spectrum before you TX.

Maybe we should do a Skype call and you can share your screen so I can see if what you see is 'normal' behavior.

Jim WA2EUJ