HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:43 pm 

Hi Jim
I just saw your not and did some checking. Looks like my problem was a misunderstanding in my own mind of how it should work and not reading directions.

With “set LO <> Tune offset” set to zero hz and “ tune fixed to LO<> tune offset checked, it works exactly as you describe with the tuned signal clicked on the spectrum always shifting to the middle of the screen.

My misconception—I did not have “ Tune fixed to LO” was expecting the frequency scale (including signals) to be fixed and then be able to click the TUNE indicator to get to the desired signals frequency. ( I.e. tuning with no shift of signals on the frequency scale).

That understood, a couple questions-

1- Under what circumstances would you ever want to change the zero hz tune offset?
2- Under what circumstances would you want to have Tune not fixed to LO ? Also have LO locked vs not locked
3- Do the other options for sdr s/w the same way (ie with Tune fixed to LO)?

I saw the above questions discussed in some the hdsdr material. For example, the suggestion of using a 4000 hz offset for AM

Many thanks for your time helping me as I get my mind around this. I will load Skype in case I get stuck mentally or otherwise again so we can share my screen ( maybe needed sooner than later).

Best 73’s
Tom
Kp2ch

Tom
Kp2ch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 pm 

Jim

I have had some success getting my HDSDR/RSFHIQ working to let me operate on JS8 for several days. Even with that was a success, but I have been unable to make the interface via the HDSDR screen work correctly. I have tried many combinations of hdsdr settings but no luck. I can get it close to working but still there is ALWAYS something wrong. Unfortunately, all this makes me uneasy about investing more $ to add the PI SDR IQ to let me use powersdr and get away from some of the hdsdr issues. I'd like to get the RSHFIQ working correctly with HDSDR first to build some confidence.

I wanted to attached a file with two cases illustrating what I have observed....but the forum system rejects the saying "pdf and xlsx extensions are not allowed"(?)

I find that I can get tuned to the right freq on usb and run JS8CALL OK, that the hdsdr freq scale shows the JS8 signals on the wrong frequency when the tuned frequency is tuned off the JS8 signalscan. Changing SWAP I/Q solves the erroneous frequency shifting but puts JS8 signals about 5khz too low (as if usb and lsb were reversed?).

I will try resend this note to your email address with the file. Please have a look. I am hopeful there is a stupid problem with settings I am just not seeing on my own.

You had offered a skype session....maybe a quick phone call or the skype session would help.

Please let me know

Thanks
Tom Kp2ch
540-270-8673 in FtL,FL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm 

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure that I can be of much help, I don't operate JS8 and I'm not sure even what the problem you are having is. It sounds like there is some difference between the tuned frequency and the actual frequency ???

Have you used an external source or even the RS-HFIQ's built-in test oscillator to verify that HDSDR is tuning correctly?

Something that you haven't mentioned is how you get audio and between the JS8 software and HDSDR. If the JS8 software is expecting to be connected to a conventional radio or directly from the output of an IQ radio then the data stream provided by HDSDR might not be what the software is expecting. Are you using a Virtual Audio Cable for the audio?

How do you get CAT commands from JS8 to HDSDR?

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:35 pm 

Hi Tom,

I just realized that I haven't responded to your earlier post.

1- Under what circumstances would you ever want to change the zero hz tune offset?
Any mode that has energy at 0hz (the center of the passband) like AM, CW, FM should be offset. Voice and digital modes should use 0 offset.

2- Under what circumstances would you want to have Tune not fixed to LO ? Also have LO locked vs not locked
You can operate with the tuned frequency unlocked from the LO but the further away you get from the LO the worse the performance because of deficiencies on the sound card's audio spectrum, especially on TX.

3- Do the other options for sdr s/w the same way (ie with Tune fixed to LO)?
I can only speak for PowerSDR and Quisk which always transmits in the same place but allows you to tune around the RX window and handles this function automatically. Quisk let is unlocked but has a function that lets you bring you operating frequency to the center of the screen which I suggest you use before you transmit. Power SDR allows you to receive on 2 frequencies on the same window, very cool.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:00 am 

Hi Jim

Thank you for replying 24 Apr via forum to more of my questions. With your kind help, I think I have finally been able to get my mind around HDSDR over RS-HFIQ and am very happy with the results. Almost everything makes sense now and the RS-HFIQ + HSSDR and it seems to be operating well ....I have also learned alot:

1- Using VB-Audio Cables A+B and VSP manager I have had some success reliably operating with several digimode programs (FLDIgi, WSJT-X,JS8Call, Airlink) running one at a time. There seem to be almost no issues with drivers and interfacing to HDSDR.
2- For SSB voice, I loaded "Voice shaper" and had some success using it to massage/compress my cheapie usb mic/headset mic audio. Again, like the digimode program it is connected via VB-audio and to the usb headset mic mic direct.
3- I started selecting the "listener" option on VB audio cable B output to the digimode program in the win7 audio properties to route audio to speaker or usb headset while running digi software. Only exception was FLdigi which shows an error if a " listener" is connected (just need to to disconnect listener and it works OK)
4- I also had some success setting up a remote laptop using Team-viewer for video and audio (its free for personal use accts but there are occasional pop-ups). I noticed that the controlled pc( an older win7 pc 2core) which services the usb connected to RS-HFIQ/soundcard and runs hdsdr, digimode program and remote end of teamviewer) could easily get to 100% cpu per the HDSDR display. Also, running teamviewer on the local LAN only (vs via internet) was alot more stable.

I am trying to define my next steps:

A - Regarding upgrading to PI SDR IQ+, it looks like a great upgrade, but with the above good results with HDSDR and no apparent driver, etc issues, I am wondering if the upgrade is worth it. Is there anything else negative about HDSDR vs the PI SDR IQ+ with PowerSDR that I should consider. I understand the 2 receiver functionality on Power SDR is a plus. I have HDSDR 2.7 from 2013 (as originally downloaded from Hobbypcb website), however I see newer releases available. Are the newest version releases of HDSDR fully compatible with RSHFIQ? Is the PowerSDR verion used for PI SDR IQ+ with RS HFIQ unique and the only supported version for RS HFIQ?

B- Regarding adding a linear amp, the Hardrock50 looks to be a glove fit to RSHFIQ, but they are scarce on pre-owned market and the only alternative is the kit that is offered. Most of the alternative amps seem to be setup to only support band switching using the FT817 hard analog signal. Is their any simple way to make RSFIQ with HDSDR provide a comparable analog signal (vs the rshfiq's KX style serial data for band-switching)....maybe direct from HDSDR rather than RSHFIQ? Is there any 100W class amp that could easily be adapted?

Jim, my honest sense aftre messing with this for the last few weeks is that you have developed a really great product in the RSHFIQ and it is a path for hams into the future ; I am now very tempted to replace my icom hf gear with RSHIQ+SDR software. It is a much better an more interesting way of operating....very visual and intuitive(once you begin to get your arms around how it should work as I think I have).

best regards
Tom
KP2CH

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:36 pm 

Hi Tom,

I'm glad that your efforts have been successful in getting the RS-HFIQ and HDSDR running.

There are two main advantages of the PI SDR IQ+ over HDSDR. First is the fully realized 192 kHz bandwidth, I have never seen a 192 kHz sound card actually provide 192 kHz of spectrum because the analog stages preceding the A/D are limited to 50 kHz or so. The PI SDR IQ+ has a specially designed CODEC the has full performance all the way out to the edge of the spectrum and more dynamic range than the RS-HFIQ! The second advantage is the PowerSDR software which has so many additional features (RX and TX EQ, compression, CW keyer, Split operation, dual receive) that it's difficult to list them all. As far as I know no one has made a direct interface for PowerSDR to the RS-HFIQ without the PI SDR IQ+. As for HDSDR compatibility, remember that HDSDR does not interface directly with the RS-HFIQ, Omni-Rig sits in between so as long as the new versions support Omni-Rig, the RS-HFIQ will be supported.

As for the Hardrock-50, we do have an assembly service available for non-kit builders, it adds $125 to the price of the amp. The Ten-Tec and Elecraft 100W amps have frequency detectors and should provide automatic band switching without any setup but they are both considerably more expensive. For the cheaper, off-shore, (non type accepted) amps that use the FT-817 analog protocol, you could used another Arduino Nano ($3) to decode the band words from the RS-HFIQ and use a PWM output to make the correct analog voltage. We have the Hardrock-500 coming out soon with 400-500W output with 5W drive but it will also be a kit.

The RS-HFIQ has been out for 2 years now and it does seem to have taken root and there are lots of applications up and running.

Jim WA2EUJ