HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm 

In this thread in the IQ32 forum, Jim mentioned:
Quote:
I've also alerted the FW team that there is a bug in the HR50 serial stream. It works fine for and tracks band changes until you stay on a band for a while, then it won't get the next band change but then it starts working again.

I'm experiencing this exact behavior with my RS-HFIQ and HR-50. Is this a know issue with the RS-HFIQ too? I think I have the latest firmware on the transceiver. (Is there a way to check?)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:22 am 

Hi Jim,

You can check which version of firmware your RS-HFIQ is running by using a terminal emulator like Termite. Open the serial port 57600 Baud, 8,N, 1 and set the line termination to <CR>. Then issue a *W?<CR> and the unit will respond with the current FW.

If you need to update your FW you will need to install the Arduino IDE and upload the latest Arduino sketch to the controller. Instructions for doing this are located here:

https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtransceiver/home/arduino-sketch

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm 

The RS-HFIQ reports:
Code:
RS-HFIQ FW 3.2b

It looks like the code in RS-HFIQ_REV_D_3-2.ZIP on https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtra ... ino-sketch has that version string. Is that the latest?

Assuming it is, I'm back to the issue I mentioned in the initial post. If I've switched bands recently, it works fine, but if I've been on a band for a while I have to switch twice in order for it to work.

Jim, you mentioned that the IQ32 had this problem, but that the firmware had fixed it. Does the same fix need to be applied to the RS-HFIQ sketch?

As an aside, is the Arduino sketch in Github or other public source repo? If it is, please point me to it and I'll look for the commit in the IQ32 code and try applying it to the RS-HFIQ.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:24 am 

Hi Jim,

The IQ32 issue was resolved but I'm not certain exactly what was causing it. We reverted back to a version that didn't exhibit the behavior and worked from there. I've never seen the issue in a RS-HFIQ which has an Arduino Nano and runs the sketch (the IQ32 has no Arduino, the STM-32 directly controls the RS-HFIQ functions, including the HR50 interface).

Your link points to the latest version of the sketch and, as far as I know, is the only place that it's posted on the web.

A couple things to look at:

1. What version of the FW is the HR50 running? I don't think we've changed anything in the serial processor for a LONG time but it's worth asking the question.
2. What are the power settings on the USB port that the RS-HFIQ is on? If it shuts down the power or reinitializes the port, the Nano will go to the bootloader for a few seconds which means no serial comms.
3. Omni Rig can be set to poll the RS-HFIQ which might help keep the USB port 'awake'

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 pm 

At startup on my HR50 I see:

Code:
HARDROCK-50 HW:G
FW: 3.0 ATU: 1.4

I use RS-HFIQ with a PiSDR, so the USB port power settings are whatever it provides. I assume the Omni Rig suggestion doesn't apply to the PiSDR. I continue to see data from the RS-HFIQ even when the band switching doesn't work, so I doubt the USB port is powered down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:47 am 

I also use the PI SDR and the latest version of the Sketch (3.2) works without issue.

Which FW is the amp running?
How is it connected? Do you have the little dongle?

Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:52 pm 

As I mentioned above, the amp front panel reports "FW: 3.0 ATU: 1.4" at startup. Is there something else I should be checking for the firmware version? I have the interface dongle. and it's connected to the AUX plug on the RS-HFIQ. I modified the Hardrock to put 5V on pin 1 of the DB-9.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:00 am 

There should be a letter after the 3.0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 am 

You're right, it's 3.0D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:33 am 

Hi Jim,

OK here is a version that initializes the Software Serial Port before it writes data to the HR50 and turns it off when it's done. See if it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ykg8hfozqcjl2hs/AAAikSup6AGaRCc_x-NRi5sOa?dl=0

Jim WA2EUJ