HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IQ-64 Transceiver
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 am 

We now have a Linux plug-and-play setup using w Raspberry PI 3B+, a Behringer UFO202 sound card and a RS-HFIQ transceiver.

Download the MicroSD card image here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfedi86idagdnqh/IQ64_Image.zip?dl=0

Set up the hardware as shown here:

https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtransceiver/home/iq64-sdr-transceiver

and when you boot-up Quisk will start and everything is ready to go. The 'Ham Radio' folder has FLDigi and WSJT-X software already to go for digital modes. For voice, plug in a USB mic and route the audio using Pulse Audio to Quisk's audio in and you are on the air.

You can use desktop components (monitor, keyboard, mouse), a small LCD toughscreen, or install VNC and operate remotely.

Have Fun,

Jim WA2EUJ

Post subject: Re: IQ-64 Transceiver
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 am 

Jim,
Thanks for developing and posting the file! So far, I downloaded/extracted the image and booted up into the Raspberry Pi desktop. I will be ordering a UFO202 and give it and begin testing.

--Al
WD4AH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:05 pm 

I just posted a 2 minute video of the IQ64 in action in SSB mode. It's on the Wiki site:

https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtransceiver/home/iq64-sdr-transceiver

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:20 pm 

The UFO202 sound card I ordered has arrived and I've got the system up and running on the bench. I'm very impressed with the performance and completeness of the build! I've been running WSJT-X in WSPR mode and made a few transmissions.

On transmit in WSJT-X I noticed that output drive level (RF Output) does not follow the 'Pwr' slider of WSJT-X. RF out level is controlled by the Pi's speaker level control. On the one hand this makes sense, but I wonder if we're by-passing something we shouldn't. In another I/Q SDR transceiver I used I was cautioned about directly transmitting the I/Q signal and not allowing the SDR t/r to process the I/Q signal properly.

But, this is Quisk and WSJT-X is configured to use Quisk's digital input. I'm going to assume it's OK.

CPU utilization with the whole shebang running is very reasonable, around 30-35%.

I'm new to the Quisk interface and it's menu conventions and that's is going to take a little getting used to.

Two questions, if you accidentally shut Quisk down what's the quickest way to restart it? I assume it's quisk.py from a command line? Any problems or concerns with upgrading the Pi's software (sudo apt-get upgrade...)?

Again, very nice work!

--Al
WD4AH

Rigs/Radios: RS-HFIQ, Ultimate 3S, GenesisRadio G3020, SDRplay RSP1, Kenwood R-1000, Halli S-40B
Computer Hardware: Dell Inspiron 570 w/ Xonar DX
Software: HDSDR, OmniRig, com0com, VB-Audio, WSJT-X, FLDigi, SDRuno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 am 

Hi Al,

I noticed the same thing with the power slider and I'm not sure why it doesn't work. There are also level controls in the Pulse Audio panel under 'Sound & Video'. My experience with Linux is very limited so I'm hoping other users can help with the starting Quisk and update questions.

There are several features that I like in Quisk; tuning is nice because you can click tune anywhere in the spectrum then use the up and down arrows to move the signal to the center of the spectrum. I've made a few voice contacts with a USB microphone and gotten excellent audio reports.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:06 am 

I did discover the path to the autostart file, it's: /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart.

In this build, Quisk is run from /home/pi/quisk-4.1.25 and executed by entering: python quisk.py

I'm very much a Raspberry Pi-Linux noob so this may be 'old hat' to others.

According to Quisk documentation, you update Quisk through this command: sudo -H pip install --upgrade quisk
I ran this command and it appears that Quisk was updated, and Quisk still runs, but there's no indication you're running the most recent version, 4.1.37.

The Quisk support forum is at: http://quisk.973856.n3.nabble.com/Quisk ... 31114.html

I also did a software update on the Pi image as well as an autoremove and so far Quisk and WSJT-X are still running.

I'm still in the dark about audio paths/routing. But, I'm beginning to get the impression the way audio is handled by WJST-X is different from FLDigi and WSJT-X can directly address Quisk's DigitalInput.

I hope this helps!

--Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 am 

Another item to add.....

I set up a quick 'n dirty test just to verify I'm transmuting on the correct frequency in WSJT-X (WSPR) and I noticed a VERY significant product (as in equal RF amplitude) at the USB 'dial frequency' in addition to the 'offset frequency.'

Just to clarify this, I was transmitting on 20m in WSPR mode so my dial frequency is 14.095,600 MHz. My offset in WSJT-X is 1580 Hz. So when I go into 'Tune' in WSJT-X on the Pi I get blip on my 'test receiver' on ~14.097,180 MHz (dial freq. + offset) and a blip on ~14.095,600 MHz. The 'test receiver' is a SDRPlay RSP-1a running SDRuno with a stub antenna. The RS-HFIQ is connected to a dummy load. The distance between the two units is about 3 feet.

I'm not sure exactly what it means and I understand some of these desktop lash-ups can give some oddball results.So, for the moment, I try and work it out in my head. My first guess is there may be a Amplitude/Phase adjustment in Quisk that needs some tweaking. I can see the controls in the Config page, but they don't seem to have any effect on the RF output.

--Al

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm 

Is there a DIY solution like this using a Raspberry Pi to run PowerSDR or some other way of doing it that doesn't involve a PiSDR? I'm on a very tight budget and the RSHFIQ has been my entry back into the hobby. I can't afford anything else! This project looks attractive but what I'd most like to do is replicate the fun I once had with my Flex 1500 and HBC II RF amplifier. The Flex is long gone but I held on to my amp.
I'm in the minority but I actually like mouse tuning and can do without the knob. I would rather do without it!
I was able to get the RSHFIQ, enclosure and Startech about two or three months ago but have yet to find the time to figure out how to set it all up. Any and all advice on my best course of action is helpful. I'm more of a hardware guy than a software one but I do know my way around Windows PC's and setting up ham radio programs. Arduino and Raspberry Pi is new to me but I'm capable of learning. I could work the IQ-64 setup and solution out but I'm not sure it's ultimately what I want. Wheels are turning though. Maybe I could use VNC and run this particular setup on my desktop PC? Do I have to have a touchscreen for this to work?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:19 am 

Hi,

The least expensive way to get the RS-HFIQ on the air (assuming that you already have a Windows PC), is HDSDR and a sound card running our 'standard configuration'. This approach is well documented and while it's a bit complicated to get working and subject to change when Windows updates or you install new software, I recommend it for new users. You will learn a lot about sound card SDR operating by getting it set up.

The next up the price scale is the IQ64. You'll need to add a Raspberry PI and Behringer sound device (about $80 for both). After initial setup, you don't need a keyboard, mouse or screen. You can install VNC on the RPI and operate the entire system from your Windows (or other) PC. Since we have the image that works out-of-the-box, you don't really need to worry about screwing it up, if it stops working just go back and re-flash the image. It does not require a touchscreen (or any screen at all) for operation. I just wanted to make a stand-alone terminal to take to Dayton for folks to see. This configuration opens the door to the world of Linux applications, the supplied image has Quisk, FLDigi and WSJT-X all installed and working but there is much more to experiment with, but alas, no PowerSDR.

The most expensive solutions are the IQ32 (primarily for ditching the computer altogether) and the PI SDR IQ+. The PI SDR IQ+ is definitely the flagship; it has the highest performance A/D - D/A, the lowest latency, most stable operation, easiest setup and it runs PowerSDR very smoothly.

If your budget it tight, just work with the RS-HFIQ, a sound card and HDSDR for now. If you haven't purchased a sound card consider the Behringer UFO202 with will work with HDSDR or the IQ64 configurations. That way it's only a $50 investment to move to the IQ64.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:59 am 

Thanks for the reply Jim. My first intent was to use the original standard configuration with HDSDR and the Startech but I'm intrigued by the PiSDR solution and this IQ64 configuration as well. I actually have a Raspberry Pi 2B that was given to me by a friend for a model railroading application that I'm about to start playing with and it's earmarked for that but I could probably scrape together enough funds for the 3B and Behringer. In fact, I actually have enough money to get myself a PiSDR but it's money I've been saving awhile for other things so I would really have to think about spending it on that and be absolutely sure I would get one if I ordered it as it doesn't appear to be a regular production item. Certainly sounds like the superior setup but I'm still wishing I could figure a way to get PowerSDR to work without it though.
As I said, I'm not much of a software guy but I'm not just "plug and play" either. I'm still an experimenter at heart and can wade through various driver and setup issues. I've broken and reinstalled Windows hundreds of times!