HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: IQ-64 Transceiver
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:38 am 

Ordering the PI SDR IQ+ using INDEGOGO is outside of normal internet transactions but I will personally vouch for Christos SV1EIA, he is available and responsive to technical issues. We were looking at providing the PI SDR IQ+ through the HobbyPCB website but it would be a substantial investment in inventory that we have know way of knowing whether it will move or not.

Even if we found someone to take the open source version of PowerSDR and adapt it to run the RS-HFIQ with a sound card, it might be an improvement over HDSDR but you'd still have the latency/driver/Windows configuration issues. The PI SDR IQ+ provides a full 192 kHz BW with low latency on no drivers.

For anyone heading to Dayton we'll have the RS-HFIQ to try out in four different configurations:

1. RS-HFIQ with a sound card and Windows laptop running HDSDR
2. RS-HFIQ and PI SDR IQ+ running Power SDR
3. IQ32 Stand-alone transceiver
4. IQ64 Linux based SDR

We'll also have the Hardrock-50 and the new Hardrock-500 power amps.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 am 

Wish I could get to Dayton to meet you. You may not recognize the call but I've known you through E-mail since the second run of the HBC amp that eventually became the Hardrock. I still have mine sitting here on the desk, case made out of metal yardstick. So proud of it! Never could have done it without your help. For now, I'll start with the standard configuration using HDSDR but it's nice to know I have all the options. The RS-HFIQ is an amazing little piece of equipment and it makes it fun all over again to be a ham. I'm just beginning to dip my toe in the water when it comes to the world of Arduino's and Raspberry Pi's so it's just a great time to be an electronics/computer hobbyist overall.
Thanks Jim and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:07 am 

What type of CAT control, if any, is employed in the IQ-64 configuration? Is it still Omnirig? My concern is logging with something such as DXKeeper. Would the IQ-64 configuration still require the IQ keyer to operate CW? Already growing weary of HDSDR and weighing options between the IQ-64 and Pi SDR-IQ configurations.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 am 

The PI image uses Hamlib between Quisk and the RS-HFIQ. From what I was told, Hamlib distributions now contain support for the RS-HFIQ. Between FLDigi, WSJT-X and Quisk there is some kind of Linux serial port loopback that passes tuning data from the digital mode software. As for DX Keeper, it appears to be Windows software and the IQ64 is Linux based so you wouldn't be able to run it on the Raspberry PI.

Quisk does support some level of CAT control so it might be possible for the PI to communicate with your Windows PC vis a serial port to pass logging info but someone familiar with Linux, Quick and DX Keeper would have to figure this out.

The IQ64 does not have any provisions for sending CW with a Key, as far as I know. The way Quisk manages the RS-HFIQ it might not be possible to use the IQ Keyer either. The PI SDR IQ+ does have an input for a paddle/straight key and PowerSDR has a built-in keyer but I just leave it in straight key mode and use the IQ Keyer as a 'normal' keyer because the IQ Keyer has a much better 'touch' and I like the on-screen memory manager.

Jim WA2EYH

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:55 am 

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the Windows/Linux issue even though I knew the Pi's used Linux. I'm assuming CW performance with the Pi-SDR-IQ is good? My CW is very rusty these days but it's something I want to work on and get back to hence my interest in how or if the various configurations of the RS-HFIQ deal with it. PC logging is also important to me. I'm intrigued by the standalone terminal nature of your IQ-64 setup and I've looked at the IQ-32 option as well but I think I'm leaning towards getting a Pi-SDR-IQ. That seems to be the "Cadillac" option. I remember seeing your quote somewhere about "it being a different hobby". Guess I need to figure out how to get in touch with Christos. Have fun at Dayton Jim!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 am 

I think I am missing something really simple, but I have searched the web and cannot find an answer. Has anyone tried controlling this via remote, ie VNC, while streaming the audio? If so, what protocols/server/client did you use?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:54 am 

Question: why did you use the Behringer audio adapter instead of the Startech?

Bruce Nebergall / K4TQL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 am 

I think that the reason of the Behringer is that for digital modes, you don't need 96 kHz, 48 kHz is more than enough. Also the Raspberry PI's processing power is limited and processing 96 kHz data can introduce some issues especially of you are running VNC and other applications.

Jim WA2EUJ