HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting a "TUNE" signal?
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 pm 

I'm now setup and receiving with HDSDR and it keys the rig but I'm not sure I'm getting any output. I put HDSDR in CW mode, what else do I need to be doing to get a carrier? My amplifier is one of the second run HBC's and the COR isn't tripping. It's been stored for awhile though and could have issues. Still experimenting but need to make sure I'm not missing something simple and that I'm actually doing what's needed to get a carrier out of the rig.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:22 am 

This is taken directly from the RS-HFIQ FAQ/Troubleshooting website:

https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtransceiver/home/faq-and-troubleshooting

Transmitter Settings - We recommend connecting the RS-HFIQ's antenna jack to the input of a wattmeter and the output of the wattmeter to a 5 watt (or greater), 50 ohm load. For voice transmissions that are no less than five different places to set the audio levels:

1. The microphone level on Window's SOUND panel, recording devices

2. The mic gain control in HDSDR

3. The power output control in HDSDR

4. The IQ sound card speaker level in Window's SOUND panel, playback devices

5. The knob on the StarTech or other IQ sound card.

We are going to eliminate #1 and #2 for the initial setup by using HDSDR's built-in signal generator. First turn the knob on the StarTech fully clockwise so it's set to maximum. Then open the Windows Sound panel by right clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom of the screen and selecting 'Playback Devices'. Click once on the IQ sound card then on properties and select the levels tab. Arrange the items on your monitor so you can see both HDSDR and the Windows Sound panel.

Put HDSDR in USB or LSB and set the frequency to one of the ham bands. Press the space bar to put HDSDR in TX mode. You should have two green LEDs and one Yellow LED lit on the RS-HFIQ. Slide the Output Power slider in HDSDR all the way to the right (maximum power). Then press CTRL+SHFT+G to activate the test tone. It toggles through a single tone at three different levels then dual tones at three different levels the three tones at 3 different levels. We need the single tone at the highest level (three presses of CTRL+SHFT+G).

With the tone running, adjust the Speaker level in the Windows Sound panel for 5W output. If you aren't using a wattmeter set it just before the red LED lights on the RS-HFIQ and if you are using an antenna rather than a load, do it quickly. Press CTRL+SHFT+G repeatedly to cycle through the tones until the transmitter unkeys.

You can now use the Mic gain setting in HSDSR and the Mic level control in Windows SOUND panel, recording devices to adjust the speech level.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:30 pm 

Ughh, very tired today and apparently stupid too. ;) Can't find any sign of a power output control in HDSDR nor a mention of it on web. Can't find a mic gain control in Windows 10 anywhere. (Still not used to it even after all this time.) Not hearing any sort of tones when pushing Ctrl+Shift+G. Have the rig going direct to MFJ-949E tuner that is switched to dummy load. Rig is definitely switching into Xmit as light goes on and speaker mutes. I will keep trying but I'm not grasping why I can't just generate a simple carrier in CW mode but I may be thinking about it wrong as my last SDR was Flex 1500 several years ago. I understand key jack is not actually used for CW but I'd try it if my key wasn't taken apart for cleaning! I also have yet to purchase any sort of USB microphone just yet. I'm just trying to get up and running. Pi-SDR-IQ and PowerSDR looking more attractive by the minute!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:01 am 

I was able to find the mic gain control, it's sort of buried in Windows 10 and not very intuitive but that's OK I found it. Still no luck finding a "power output control" in HDSDR. I temporarily disconnected the USB from front panel of RS-HFIQ while experimenting with HDSDR as I'm leery of keying the final when I'm unsure what's going on even though I'm using a dummy load. CTRL+SHFT+G is producing results on screen that look like the described tones but I'm hearing nothing. CW mode with the Enter key held down appears to produce a carrier on screen as well but no tone. It occurs to me I'm overthinking or thinking about this wrong and expecting some sort of sidetone when there is none although even if one resorted to sending CW with the enter key they would need to hear it.
I will hook the rig back up now and see where I go from here. Sorry if my last post seemed snitty, just was tired and frustrated with HDSDR. It would be very comforting to see some RF moving the needle of the tuner wattmeter though! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:49 am 

Finally found the power output control in HDSDR. Right under my nose in TX mode! Also played with sound card settings and now have test tone in speakers on TX but I feel like I discovered it by accident. This thing is humbling me but I guess I'm having fun (if you can call it that). Rig isn't going into TX now but that's probably because of me plugging and unplugging USB. Still working on it but making slow progress.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:27 pm 

You should not hear the tones, unless you have a separate RX tuned to the same frequency as the RS-HFIQ.

The tones come out of the Star-Tech and go directly into the RS-HFIQ. One way to test is to plug speakers or headphones into the Star-Tech's output instead of the RS-HFIQ then you should hear the tones. If you don't then there's no chance that anything is coming out of the RS-HFIQ.

If you have disconnected the RS-HFIQ's USB port while HDSDR is running, it may take a re-boot to get everything going again. That confuses HDSDR and Omni-Rig.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:41 pm 

Finally have it working! I am not hearing the tones now but I am registering power output so a little sigh of relief is in order. Still not exactly sure what I was doing wrong but I've made note of the current settings. What color is the "clip" LED? I think I'm seeing bleed through of the orange TX light even though I sharpied the light pipes but I need to be sure.
Not hearing the tone is a little disconcerting when one is used to hearing it on more conventional rigs but it's just nice to see the power output and I'm assuming I now have to configuration correct. Next up is giving the amp a once over as it's been stored in a drawer several years. BTW, I posted another inquiry about the IQ-64 configuration concerning it's CAT capability over on that thread. I'm weighing my options on using the RS-HFIQ. Thanks again for all your help Jim. I would not have been able to get back into the hobby if not for you guys.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:12 am 

Glad to hear that you made some progress. The 'clip' led is red so it's hard to miss. It's not super accurate and is dependant on supply voltage and load impedance as well as output power but the Hardrock-50 only takes 1-2W drive and presents a good match to the RS-HFIQ so you should not see the 'clip' LED on when transmitting with the HR50.

I'll look for your other post.

Jim WA2EUJ