HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pi SDR IQ Plus
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm 

I am having the opposite problem as wb8sqj. I have beautiful receive, but no transmit. I assume that I need to use the split spkr/mic that came with the Pi_SDR. What mic do I need? I have tried my ALexMic KX, but it requires a bias voltage. How can I tell if the PTT is working? What am I missing?

AI6B

Post subject: Re: Pi SDR IQ Plus
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:28 am 

It's probably best to start with the TUNE function in PowerSDr rather than go directly to the microphone. You'll need to verify that the IQ output signal from the PI SDR IQ+ is making it to the RS-HFIQ.

Before you start, how are you determining that the RS-HFIQ has RF output? Do you have a wattmeter and 50 ohm load? or some other method.

Does you RS-HFIQ have two green LEDs on and when you switch to TX does the yellow LED come on?

You should have two 3.5MM stereo audio jacks and one USB cable going from the PI SDR IQ+ to the RS-HFIQ. IQ out RX on the radio to IQ In on the PI SDR and IQ in TX on the radio to IQ out on the PI SDR. The USB should go from the USB port on the radio to any available USB on the PI SDR IQ+.

Since you have RX working only the TX cable is suspect.

Also check to see that three shorting jumpers are installed on JP2

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:24 pm 

Problem solved thanks to the patience and help of Jim and Christos. The issue was mostly my ignorance. I had assume that the PTT was present at the MIC jack. You will not find customer support like this for any of your Chinese radios!

AI6B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 pm 

Still working out my setup and so far the Pi-SDR-IQ + is not keying my RS-HFIQ using TUNE and MOX buttons in PowerSDR or spacebar. I have IQ in/out cables and USB connected. RS-HFIQ Power and USB lights are on. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 am 

Try connecting the RS-HFIQ's USB port directly to your Windows PC and see if you can key it using *X1<CR> and *X0<CR> via Termite. If it does, then the issue must either USB cabling or the port itself.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 am 

OK will do but it keys fine direct from PC via the HDSDR/OmniRig combo.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:28 am 

If you are sure that the RS-HFIQ is working normally, and you have the latest Arduino sketch from the website:

https://sites.google.com/site/rshfiqtransceiver/home/arduino-sketch

The you should contact SV1EIA via the PI SDR IQ+ support page and he'll help you troubleshoot the PI SDR.

https://pi-sdr.net/forum/index.php

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:33 pm 

I've tried uploading 3.2 sketch to the RS-HFIQ but keep getting a "programmer not responding" error. Trying to troubleshoot that issue here now, any suggestions? I'm also trying to work with Christos but before I can go any further, I need to make sure 3.2 is loaded. I have a hunch that's where the problem lies.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 am 

'Programmer Not Responding' generally indicates that the Arduino IDE is not communicating with the Nano on the RS-HFIQ.

In past posts you indicate that you can connect the RS-HFIQ to your PC and communicate with it via Termite. With the RS-HFIQ's USB connected to the PC repeat this and note the COM port number that Termite uses to communicate with the RS-HFIQ's Nano.

Close Termite and open the Arduino IDE, then load the new sketch.
Under the tools menu select board type Nano and select the same COM port that Termite uses under PORT.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:11 am 

Happy to report all problems solved! The issue with the sketch not loading turned out to be processor selection in the Arduino IDE program. Research turned up the fact that sometimes a problem with Nano's loading could be remedied by using ATmega328p (Old Bootloader) selection rather than just ATmega328p. I don't know enough about Arduino's yet to understand why it worked but it did. It then followed that not having the proper sketch was indeed the problem with keying the rig via the Pi-SDR.
My erroneous assumption was that the rig would have the latest sketch because it was just recently purchased this year. Wasn't until I read the version that supports Pi-SDR did not have support for the IQ keyer that I realized it wouln't have been shipped with V3.2 loaded. All good now.
Now I'm on to determining Mic selection. I have a D-104 that has a Heil HC-5 element and I'd need a blocking capacitor but I may be leaning towards getting a mic designed to work with PC's as I saw some I really like the looks of. As always, I appreciate the help Jim.
Michael