HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RS-HFIQ with DRAWS ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm 

Jim+ co
Playing with RSFIQ has been the unique learning highlight of my recent ham activities. However, new ideas to apply raspberry pi for digimodes seem to be advancing at lightning speed. I think a big problem for the average ham is keeping up with the growing complexity such as understanding how to make all the software all play ok.

Any thoughts about integrating RSHFIQ with the recently released DRAW shield board on raspberry PI?
Short of using PI SDRIQ, is there an economic way to add this to Quist ala IQ64? Looks like DRAWS is likely get a very big following so there will probably be lots of support (eg updated images with bugs worked) to make the digimodes part function painlessly. I guess, simple-mindedly,DRAW hardware + software + a 2nd display + another raspberry pi can be added to the basic iq64, but I wonder if there isn’t a more clever combination.

Love to hear any thoughts!

Tom-KP2CH

Post subject: Re: RS-HFIQ with DRAWS ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 pm 

Hi Tom,

I had a quick look at the DRAWS hat for the Raspberry PI. It has many useful radio interface functions but it seems like the only one which is applicable to the RS-HFIQ is the CODEC. I couldn't easily find the specs on the CODEC so it's hard to compare it to the 192 kHz, 24 bit, 120 dB dynamic range CODEC in the PI SDR IQ+ or the 48 kHz, 16 bit, 92 dB dynamic range CODEC in the IQ64.

It does look like the DRAWS CODEC will show up as an audio device in Pulse Audio on the standard IQ64 PI image so all that you would need to do is configure the DRAWS and the IQ input to QUISK in Pulse Audio to make it work. It seems to be designed to interface with the audio output of a conventional radio so again it's not clear if it has a stereo input that is needed to support an IQ radio like the RS-HFIQ.

I would point out that the DRAWS isn't cheap at $150. The Behringer UFO202 sound card is only $30 and there's a new version of the PI SDR called the PI SDR IQ solo which will be available for $125.

Jim WA2EUJ