HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Iq32 Setup
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm 

Jim,
I am loving the IQ32! Some questions:

What is the best way to setup the IQ32 transmit with a HR50? I have adjusted the mic gain but how do I tell when I start to distort? How do I set the TX level? I can vary these and watch PEP level on the HR50, it can read quite high, >70W.

Do you have any plans to make the IQ32 retain settings between power cycles, is there an EEPROM? I would like it to get all settings, f, agc, filter etc. The same when using the "band select screen".

I would like to use an external speaker. Is there a way to disable the microphone speaker?

Thanks

Rich

Post subject: Re: Iq32 Setup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:40 am 

Hi Rich,

I'll let the software team tackle the questions about firmware issues but I will say that some method of retaining the setting during power off is planned.

I use the IQ32 HR50 combination all the time and you can change the small knob function to TX LEVEL then change the mode to TUNE and use the small knob to set the HR50 to 50W output. If you change bands often, this can be a bit of a pain. What I do is set it for 50W on 40M then leave it alone. On some bands (like 80M, 17M) the output will be higher. It'll be about right on 30, 15, 12 and 10 and a tough lower on 20.

I am actively working on a break-out box for the SKPR/MIC connector. It will have a standard 1/8" (3.5mm) mono plug for a speaker and the standard 8 PIN circular plug for the microphone. It will also have provisions to add a USB module to support digital modes. There maybe some speaker/mic's available with a plug for an external speaker but I haven't found one yet with the correct pinout.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:30 am 

Thanks Jim, do you have any advice on setting the mic gain?

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am 

Jim,
I adjusted the mic gain by listening in another receiver while transmitting at 5W (dummy load). I set it as high as possible while it still sounded okay.

Do I need to set the Rx Amp and Rx Phase levels? Your instructions state to "provide a strong signal". Is this an SSB signal? The IQ-32 is the only source of SSB in my shack. I have CW, AM and FM signal generators.... Where would I see/select the "unwanted sidebands"?

Also, pretty excited to start using PSK-31. I have been tuning around the bands. I have found many strong digital mode signals but solar have been unable to decode a signal character. Either all of them are not PSK-31 or I am doing something wrong...

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:13 pm 

Hi Rich,

The phase and amplitude settings are a throwback to when the STM-32 SDR was primarily used with Softrock transceivers. The Softrock used hand wound transformers in the mixers and tuned circuits that change phase/amplitude over frequency. Th RS-HFIQ (IQ-32) uses broadband MA-Comm SMT transformers with phase balance with 1 degree and amplitude within 0.5 dB.

The RF portion of the radio meets all FCC spurious emission requirements which phase and amplitude set to 0. If you have some commercial grade test equipment you might be able to squeak a few more DB of image rejection but it's generally not worth the effort. I've also found that tweaking it on one frequency throw it further off on others.

I didn't write the manual just converted it from STM32 SDR to IQ-32 so there's bound to be some red herrings in there.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:49 pm 

Jim,
Nothing to be adjusted, perfect response!

I will keep fishing around for PSK 31 signals in the usual spots, hopefully I will see some decoded messages soon…

Thanks
Rich