HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm 

I have done testing with large value "boom box" capacitors (in the range of Farads) for use across the amplifier input power terminals. The smaller the wire or the longer the runs between the supply and the amplifier will make the peak power problem worse.
I have some information on my website K5JAX.com. There I have been using a Farad + cap on a SG500 amp. I run the amp with a 70 amp RV type DC power supply. This can only handle a portion of the max peak DC power required by the amp. I am also limited by the wire size and the distance of the amp from the power supply. I have two of these amps with identical DC hookups. This will also work equally as well in a mobile installation.
I have seen amps with out such a capacitor flat top at peak power levels and I am sure produce some distortion products.
The larger the better value cap attached to the input terminals of the power in connector of the amp along with the largest practical gauge wire will go a long way towards producing the peak power that the amp is capable of. Keep the wire from the cap as short as possible and the wire size as large as possible.
I have read comments from Jim reminding everyone that this is a 12 volt operating system and every fraction of a volt loss will cause a dramatic reduction of power out.
Hope this helps. Contact me at info@k5jax.com
73's
Roger