HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RS-WM1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 pm 

in the process of trying to make solder bridges on the touch LCD, managed to mangle trace. DONT TRY A BRIDGE WITH SOLDER, USE A SMALL WIRE OR SUCH. very sensitive ( I am not new to soldering , but new to SMT boards) ordered another. The touch screen also fell off, but went back on rather easily, and didnt want to fall off again. Touch screen doesnt work (maybe the mangled SB1 jumper area) WHAT DO THESE DO? display shows but as stripes. touch screen control does nothing. didn,t input a signal yet to see if the existing setting works. after fact did run the touch LCD display test and touch screen tests. LCD sat there when supposed to show bitmaps (PER WAVESHARE TEST INSTRUCTIONS, found showBMP, not showImage, as per waveshare).
waveshare schematic doesnt seem to show SB1, SB2, SB3. Also talks about "should be connected with an OR resistor, respectively (on waveshare user manual). WHAT IS THAT?
AGAIN, please explain what these jumpers do, or point me to where I can learn what they do. I assume this is why the display is striped (SB1 not connected). curious how many layers to that board (should I go digging more since have nothing to lose) tried reconnecting with solder paste with no success. I will be more careful when get the new display. IT IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE!

Post subject: Re: RS-WM1
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:58 pm 

Hi,

The solder bridges only require a connection between both pads of the bridge. It's not really a SMT procedure. Just heat both pads with your iron and add solder until there is a bead of solder covering both pads.

I'm not sure about the touch screen not working but if the solder bridges aren't in place it will be difficult to tell if it's working or not because the display won't work.

You can always pack it up and send it to me and I'll fix it and send it back.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:59 pm 

RS-WM1 WATTMETER ISSUE 2/28/2017
I have gotten my wattmeter to operate with the new touchscreen. I have 2 issues.

Striped colors where your pictures show solid colors. Am I missing a new sketch somewhere?
The previous touch screen did this too, so it is not unique to this touchscreen shield.

The other issue is that the meter is reading almost 30dbm high. I put in 2.7dbm in from my signal generator (selected because I didn’t want to exceed full scale.) which results in a reading of approximately 30dbm. My HP432A power meter verifies this. I am certainly within a few db of my readings. I constructed this using your wattmeter case assembly manual from 5/24/2017. Note the earlier one also says rev A.

As an aside, the case shown has the designations of input 1 and 2 reversed, although its correct on the wattmeter shield pcb.

Is there something else I should be doing or a different sketch? Has anyone else built one of these yet and not run into these issues? This was built from your parts, but not from a kit.

Thanks, Ed

Attachments:
SHRUNK_b_80M TEST 2.7DBM DRIVE_shows 30dbm__IMG_3619.jpg
SHRUNK_b_80M TEST 2.7DBM DRIVE_shows 30dbm__IMG_3619.jpg [ 68.22 KiB | Viewed 6693 times ]
SHRUNK_b_shows pink stripes that dont show on phone pic_EOS7D__G82A1423.jpg
SHRUNK_b_shows pink stripes that dont show on phone pic_EOS7D__G82A1423.jpg [ 60.52 KiB | Viewed 6693 times ]
SHRUNK_b_PIC SHOWS STRIPES and approx 30dbm for 2.7dbm_IMG_3617.jpg
SHRUNK_b_PIC SHOWS STRIPES and approx 30dbm for 2.7dbm_IMG_3617.jpg [ 47.6 KiB | Viewed 6693 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:56 am 

Hi Ed,

Please send the picture to me in email. WA2EUJ (at) ARRL (Dot) NET. It makes it easier for me.

I guess that I need to see what the display looks like before I make any suggestions. Did you put the bitmap files on a MicroSD card and insert them in the display? If you had purchased the kit, this was already done. If you build it from parts you'll need do so. the background and buttons on the display are stored on the MicroSD card.

Sorry about the channel numbers on the case, you can swap it in software.

73m
Jim WA2EUJ