HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CW on the IQ32
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:01 pm 

Been a while since I posted here, but I just took the IQ32 out to the park to do some QRP operating, and had some interesting experiences.

Phone was just as I would expect. But CW was...odd. I used a sideswiper (cootie) key, and it worked fine, but there was a really noisy tail to each of my code elements, like a static pop or something every time I unkeyed. I know the IQ Keyer was recommended for the RS-HFIQ, but does the IQ32 upgrade make that keyer unnecessary for mechanically-produced CW? (Straight key, Cootie, or Bug) I know a keyer of some sort would be necessary for using a paddle, since there is no automatic keyer in the IQ32 (yet). But should I still have the IQ Keyer, especially as I'm doing a fair bit of SKCC operating? The docs are great at describing what each button does, but it doesn't say if the IQ Keyer is recommended or not.

I see the firmware updates...I need to apply them, but I don't see anything in their descriptions that would indicate any improvements to CW operation. Is there development continuing on the firmware? What fixes and features are you anticipating and working on, especially related to CW? Is it trying to do full break-in now, or is it only semi break-in?

Sorry if my questions are dumb. I only went back to re-study my code around November of last year, and took CWAcademy Level 1 in January. I'm doing more and more CW, and want to use the IQ32 as much as possible (my KX3 is a pain to get in and out of the base station mount).

Gwen, NG3P

Post subject: Re: CW on the IQ32
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:08 pm 

Additional Info. I've updated the firmware to the latest version. Keying seems to ring a bit less. I'll take it to the park this week and see if it does what it did last time. I've got a little keyer board from kit-projects.com that I'm going to wire up to use with the IQ32. I'll keep posting additional information as I get it. I post pictures and reports from my park operating over on MeWe. I'm at https://mewe.com/i/gwendolynpatton and created a group called the "Amateur Radio Online QSO Party". Feel free to join it at https://mewe.com/group/5c7c5aeccb3b400bed481a18

I've got some nice pictures of the IQ32 in action. Let me see if I can get one to post here...yup, looks good! I'm using a Talentcell 8300mAh battery, my SKCC Cootie, and a QRPGuys 40-30-20 end-fed trapped wire antenna as a sloper to a fiberglass pole up about 18 feet at the far end. Worked pretty darned well except for the odd ringing on the CW.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:56 am 

Glad you are having fun,
As to the question on are we working on improving CW operations?

Yes we are.
When will it be done?
When it’s ready.

When we started adding basic iambic keying and have uncovered some things that require work so it is back to the drawing board. SSB and PSK transmission are fairly slow moving events so the way we process data in blocks works well, but things happen faster in CW and we have to make adjustments in how we process things.
We expect it’s going to take some time to get it operating how we like as it’s going to require major surgery but once that’s done we will pass on to the beta testers then do a general release.

Dave VE7HR and Chris VE7XH

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm 

Um...good?

Don't know why you seem to be testy about the question. So I'll just look forward to it getting done whenever, I guess. I didn't see a lot of people posting to bug you about it, so I don't know why you seem nettled by my asking.