HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 pm 

I recently bought an RS-HFIQ setup and am trying to get it installed according to the guide, but am encountering an issue that I want to ask about.

I am using a Lenovo Thinkcentre M92P with a fresh installation of Windows 10. The PC has multiple USB 3.0 ports.

Windows 10 shows this as a "USB Advanced Audio Interface" with SPDIF.

When I plug in the StarTech audio interface and configure it according to the Quick Start guide, the best quality I can get on the microphone setting is 1 channel, 16-bit, 48000Hz. I do not ever see any options for 2 channels or 24-bit anything on the microphone control panel.

On the speaker control panel, I see the built-in speaker and built-in headphone jack for the PC, and an SP-DIF Interface for the StarTech adapter -- no speaker setting. I can configure it for 2 channel, 24-bit, 96000Hz as recommended, but I am not sure that this is what I should be setting -- is this correct for Win10? On the example screen cap in the Quick Start guide it shows both a Speaker and SP-DIF setting, but that also appears to be captured from Win7 and not Win10. Should I expect to see that setting in Win10? If I should expect to see it, this combined with the apparent limitation in the microphone setup seems to indicate that I may have a defective audio adapter OR the driver is not correct/up-to-date. Checking StarTech's web site does not lead me to a driver download of any kind, and I don't find one on the RS-HFIQ wiki page either.

Any input here would be appreciated. I've actually tried this on multiple PCs, through the USB 3.0 hub as well as directly connected to a USB 3.0 port (and USB 2.0 as well, on an older machine) and multiple fresh installs of Windows 10 with similar results each time. I have not tried a Windows 7 build yet, but I am considering it. I would like to get this thing on the air but at this point I'm concerned that either the hardware is no good or there's a driver or other configuration issue in the way.

Thanks and 73

Tony KA5TRO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:08 pm 

Hi Tony,

If your StarTech says 'Rev B' on the sticker on the back, it needs new FW to get 96 kHz, 24 bit, Stereo input.

If you go to this link:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/USB-to-Audio-Converter-External-SPDIF-Sound-Card~ICUSBAUDIO2D#dnlds

They have excellent instructions on how to install the new FW.

It took us a while to get it all sorted out but, believe it or not, StarTech released the new version on FW specifically to support HobbyPCB!

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:15 pm 

Jim,

Thank you for your response. My card is a Rev B but apparently was at an older firmware version (8808). The update to 8810 did indeed give me the ability to do the 2-channel, 24-bit, 96000Hz settings on both TX and RX. Wish I had asked this before spending money on a new-to-me PC, as I thought it was a USB chipset issue (read a comment you made to another forum user who had a similar-sounding issue), but it's not a big deal as I got a good deal on a faster machine with USB 3.0 (my other ThinkCentres were older with USB 2.0 only).

However, I still get only the SPDIF device as the input device in the sound control panel. I assume this will work?

Thanks again,

Tony KA5TRO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:47 am 

Yes even with the new firmware there is a slight difference in the input and output nomenclatures but as far as I could tell everything works just like it should.

Jim WA2EUJ