HobbyPCB.com

Built by Hobbyist for Hobbyist!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:55 pm 

I plan to put my UV3A out next to my 'antenna farm' and operate it over Ethernet using the Control Panel with a remote serial box and the "IP-Sound" program to an old netbook running Windows. But the UV3A 'control panel' doesn't have a "Push to talk" button. I guess I could program an Arduino board to implement a "push to talk" function, but has anybody found alternative solutions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:00 am 

Let me see if I can add a PTT button to the GUI. There is a command to key it from the serial port.

Jim.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 pm 

OK TX/RX button added to the GUI. Download it here:

https://sites.google.com/site/hobbypcbrsuv3awiki/applications/rs-uv3a-controller

Two observations:

1. The TX button uses the "TX2" command so it will stay keyed for max of 2 minutes then drop back to RX. Pressing the button again switch to RX at anytime.
2. When sending a CW ID the button switches to RX but pressing it won't interrupt the CW in progress.

Maybe I'll get around to updating the screen shots on the page but for now they still show the previous version.

Jim WA2EUJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 am 

Oh Jim, thank you! :D
That will do exactly what I need!

73, Trevor W6ZTM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:50 pm 

Jim, I have everything working now. I took the easy way out and bought a Silex DS-510 remote USB over Ethernet router. I have a StarTech audio dongle plugged into one USB, and the RS-UV3A plugged into the other Silex USB socket. It seems I don't need a separate power supply from the USB, the USB current transmitting current is just above 500ma, which the Silex tolerates OK.

This is a simple way to get the RS-UV3 going remotely! Biggest problem was realizing I needed the ASIO drivers for the VIA chip in the StarTech in order for 'Voice Shaper' software to work properly. It took days to hunt that down! Received audio is routed to the PC sound card via a (PC-software) Virtual Audio Cable and an Audio Repeater (v 1.56.1).

I hacked the "TX2" command in your Controller to "TX5" by hacking the binary, easy-peasy! :) Thanks for creating the TX button!

Only strange thing I see now, even when the UV3A microphone and line inputs are unplugged, and whether or not I plug in a 12V power supply, the RS-UV3A occasionally puts a soft "tick" onto its carrier. Not sure what it could be, it is pretty random, every few seconds. Easy to see on my SDR-receiver waterfall. Let's see if it causes any problems in actual on-air use..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:47 pm 

Hi Trevor,

That sounds like quite a setup. I'm not sure about the TIC, if it becomes an issue, let me know and I'll see if I can reproduce it. Yes it's very nice that the RS-UV3 and be powered by USB, that make it very convenient to use.

Jim WA2EUJ